The sleeping bag for babies is a special accessory designed to be worn by children under four years old and meant to replace the classic bedding. This accessory which has become very popular in recent years has advantages and disadvantages, intensely debated by specialists and parents alike.
Put in balance all the information related to the sleeping bag for babies and make the best decision in full knowledge of the cause! The idea of the baby sleeping bag started from the need to discover a solution whereby the little ones can stay wrapped throughout their sleep, not risking suffocating with a blanket that can easily cover their head and enjoy a full comfort.
The researchers found that babies covered with regular beds are five times more prone to sudden infant death syndrome. Behind these advantages are hidden, of course, and some drawbacks that it is good to know.
Advantages of the baby sleeping bag
The sleeping bag for babies (not to be confused with those specially designed for camping) is provided with holes through which the baby's hands are inserted for complete freedom of movement, so that it can be carried by the baby itself.
In this way, the baby cannot be revealed and will not twist in bed sheets, as is often the case with ordinary beds. The manufacturers of these baby crib accessories ensure that the material from which they are manufactured maintains a constant and pleasant body temperature.
Babies no longer risk suffocating with a blanket that can easily move around the head area, a major advantage in the first months of life.
The comfort that the baby enjoys helps him to sleep peacefully throughout the night, without waking up due to temperature fluctuations. Other important advantages are:
- freedom of movement of the child, without risks;
- the versatility of the models available on the market (from 80 cm for babies less than one year old, up to 110 cm for children up to 4 years old);
- the feeling of safety felt by the child (he is accustomed to sleeping with this accessory, falling asleep easier and feeling protected);
- ease of sleeping the baby in a foreign place (sleeping bag is an element familiar to the little one and will easily fall asleep);
- limiting the space in which the baby moves (the child is no longer able to get stuck between the cribs);
- ease of use (the sleeping bag can be put on without the baby being awake);
- mobility (the baby's sleeping bag takes up little space in the luggage when it is packed, so it can be moved without problems).
The disadvantages of the sleeping bag for babies
A major disadvantage of the sleeping bag is that it does not allow the baby to be wrapped in the first months of life, which many parents find beneficial.
Even so, experts say that infants get used to the sleeping bag quickly and enjoy a good deal of the comfort it provides. Other disadvantages of this accessory can be:
- zippers and fastening systems; some clamping components with which sleeping bags are provided have some risk of swallowing or injuring the child;
- preventing the easy change of the diaper; some parents consider that the baby sleeping bag is not practical because of the ease of changing the baby's diaper, being difficult to remove;
- frequent washing; since the sleeping bag is molded on the baby's body, it can be easily watered by the little one, requiring washing as often as bed sheets;
- price; compared to a regular bed, the sleeping bag is more expensive;
Tips for buying the sleeping bag for babies
If you are considering the option of buying a sleeping bag for your baby, it is good to know what selection criteria it is best to consider, according to expert recommendations.
Sleeping bags can be very different from one manufacturer to another, in terms of features and materials used. Most of the time, they are made of cotton, but some companies also add silk, polyester, wool or linen. To understand the quality of the materials (and the extent to which they are safe, practical and comfortable), check the thermal resistance of the bag.
On the label of these accessories you will find different values that refer to the ability to maintain the temperature within optimal limits, from 0.5 to 3.5. If the child's room is usually very warm, it is advisable to opt for the lowest value and vice versa (if the ambient temperature is low, point to a value of 2.5 or 3.5).
Experts say that the optimum temperature in the baby's room varies between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius. Also be careful about the size of the sleeping bag. Generally, these accessories are for the age categories 0-6 months, 6-18 months and 18-36 months. Do not buy a bag too big for your baby (in the idea that the little one grows anyway and you can use it until the child turns 3), otherwise you risk the little one to get hurt, slipping easily.
Orient yourself based on the weight of the child to choose the right size. You will need at least 2-3 sleeping bags for your child: one thin, one thick and one spare (in case the others get dirty and need to be washed). Of course, the name of the manufacturer of the sleeping bag is also important: be interested in which brands are the most appreciated in this sector and do not make savings when it comes to the comfort and safety of your child.
All baby sleeping bags can be machine washed. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label to keep the product in the best condition.
Tags Sleeping babies