High fever in infants and children announces that something unusual is happening in their body, caused by a viral or bacterial infection. While some babies do not suffer much when they have a fever, others may become slightly irritable and sad. At this moment, an important source of comfort and relief is the presence of one of the parents; therefore, do everything you can to stay with the child as much as possible and make him feel safe.
How to quickly measure your child's temperature
When your child has a fever, you should check their temperature regularly, and for this you need a thermometer to measure quickly and to rely on. Infrared thermometers are fast and accurate, managing to indicate your temperature values in seconds, so you can immediately take the necessary measures.
The working principle of infrared thermometers starts from the brain region called the hypothalamus. More exactly, the hypothalamus determines the body temperature and is irrigated by blood through the carotid artery. The real values of the temperature are found in the areas crossed by this artery. Infrared technology allows the recording of temperature values in two such areas: at the level of the forehead and the ear; thus, infrared thermometers were developed for the forehead and for the ear.
Thermoval duo scan it is the thermometer that measures the temperature both on the forehead and in the ear; thus, you have two measurement methods integrated in the same product.
Temperature measurement on the forehead it is completely non-invasive and almost imperceptible to your little patient.
This method is especially recommended for babies younger than 6 months, precisely because it involves minimal contact with the skin.
Here's how easy it is to measure the temperature on the forehead:
- Open the thermometer (O / I button) and wait for a few seconds until the measurement symbol appears on the screen.
- Place the thermometer in the center of the forehead and press the SCAN button.
- Move the thermometer for 3 seconds to the temples and read the value displayed after the beep.
Measurement of temperature in the ear it is similar in accuracy to rectal measurements, both indicating the actual body temperature (closest to the internal temperature).
Thus, you measure the temperature quickly and safely, and the child will not feel any discomfort.
Measures ear temperature in 4 easy steps:
- Open the thermometer (O / I button) and wait a few seconds until the measurement symbol appears in the ear. Gently lift the ear lobe.
- Insert the thermometer into the ear canal and press the SCAN button.
- Wait for 1 second and read the indicated value.
- Disinfect the tip of the thermometer.
It is important to disinfect the tip of the thermometer, especially in the case of ear measurement, for hygiene reasons (especially if two people measure their temperature during the same period). For cleaning, you can use the towels impregnated with alcohol that you receive with the appliance.
With the Thermoval duo scan you can measure the baby's temperature even when he is asleep, without waking him up because the thermometer is provided with a light screen and so you can read the values at night without turning on the light in the room. Constantly check how high your little fever is; just so you will know at any time what steps you take to improve his condition.
What you can do to reduce the fever at home
- Wear it in light and comfortable clothes. The very thick and heavy clothes isolate / capture the already high body temperature, which can lead to fever rising.
- When it has chills, cover it with a cot and remove it when they have passed or if you notice that the baby has warmed up even more.
- Keep a room temperature of 21 - 23 degrees C.
- Dehydration is one of the major risks associated with fever. To prevent it, give the child enough fluids: breast milk or milk powder if it is less than 6 months, plain water or water combined with natural juice if it is older than 6 months.
- Give her proper medication - if you're not sure what the right remedies and dosages are, call your doctor. Do not administer drugs to a child under 2 months without consulting your doctor first.
- Give her a warm bath after giving her the medicine. Do not use ice or cold water as these will promote the appearance of chills and then increase the temperature.
If all the methods of reducing fever and treating the disease at home did not work, go to the doctor - it may be something more serious.
Here are some indications that you should consult the specialist: fever does not decrease, the child has difficulty breathing, diarrhea and vomiting, crying crying, is apathetic and is not careful. Tell the doctor in detail the condition of the child and tell him what measures of fever reduction you have taken until then - you will help him in establishing the correct diagnosis.
Find out more about fever in children at www.masoarafebra.ro.
Between September 17 - December 17, 2012 we invite you to participate in the contest on the site, after which you can win an infrared thermometer for the forehead and ear, Thermoval duo scan.
Tags Baby fever Measuring baby temperature Baby thermometer Sugar temperature