The refrigerator is a basic home appliance in any kitchen and one that keeps in a long and proper condition a lot of perishable foods and foods cooked with love for your family. Efficient and correct organization of food in the fridge decreases the risk of germination, alteration of products and increases the shelf life, so you can enjoy fresh and nutritious food every day.
Here's how to properly store the main categories of food in the fridge, so it is also handy to quickly and easily prepare delicious and healthy recipes for your family!
How to properly store dairy and eggs in the refrigerator
Cheese and cheese
Soft and creamy cheeses should be kept in the boxes in which they are packed and sealed well after each use. Even the strong ones (telemeaua, cheesecake) should be kept in special storage boxes or glass vessels, covered, so as not to allow air, odor and germs to enter. Place the hard cheeses and cheese behind the shelf, as it lasts longer and puts the boxes of cream cheese in front, to consume them faster, given that they have a shorter shelf life.
It is best to keep the eggs in the fridge, in cardboard formwork and on a top shelf. They are among the foods that should be handy, because they are very often used, whether you make their omelette or put them in cakes and foods.
Butter and margarine
Butter and margarine are other basic ingredients in the kitchen, whether they are used in the preparation of recipes or are served as such on bread or other types of bakery products. If you know you will consume them quickly, keep them in the packaging in which they are marketed, but if you use only part of them, put them in a covered glass bowl in the fridge. In the long term, butter is best kept in the freezer.
Milk is one of the most consumed foods, especially in families with children, as it is the basis of a healthy and nutritious diet for the little ones. It is stored in the refrigerator on the shelves for bottles and kept in its original packaging. It is important to choose opaque milk cans, in which the light does not penetrate. It seems that the milk stored in transparent packaging is weaker in quality. The light rays that penetrate through the boxes cancel out some of the nutritional content of the milk
How to properly store fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator
Fruits and vegetables should always be found in your family's home and daily menu. Storing them in the right conditions keeps their aroma and freshness longer and helps them keep all their nutrients intact. It is important to know that fruits and vegetables are always kept in the refrigerator box specially designed for their storage and that they must meet some essential conditions:
- to be packed separately in the refrigerator (not to touch each other);
- most of them are best kept in paper bags (in plastic, the products "sweat", and the created humidity can alter the food);
- NEVER be washed before being refrigerated (it is best kept if stored in a natural state, exactly as they were harvested);
- it is cooled with roots and leaves or in bunches (it is the case of carrots, radishes, bunches of grapes, onion or garlic, celery, etc.); it seems that letting go of these threads or roots contributes to the preservation of longer-term prospects and the prevention of vesting.
Proper freezing of food
Meat is not the only food that can be stored for long periods of time by freezing. Nowadays, there are plenty of foods and even cooked foods that can be frozen without losing their nutritional value. Regardless of the foods you freeze, keep in mind the following rules:
- divide the meat into individual portions, for a single use - the meat does not freeze, therefore, it is advisable to divide it into adequate quantities;
- separates the food between them, putting them in plastic bags, paper or casseroles - even in the freezer, the smells can "migrate" and can be impregnated in other foods;
- wash and chop vegetables and fruits before freezing - if refrigeration, washing them is not necessary, when you freeze them, it is advisable to wash them thoroughly and cut or divide them into individual portions, so that they can be put directly into the food;
- the aromatic herbs are kept in paper bags.
Recommended time intervals for storing food in the freezer
Although you might think that by freezing, foods can be stored for an unlimited period of time, there are certain recommended intervals for each particular food category, which you should consider:
- sauces and cooked foods - maximum 2 months;
- over - up to 6 months (oily fish last less - 2-3 months);
- meat - lean meat (up to 1 year), fatty meat (maximum 6 months);
- fruits and vegetables - up to 10 months;
- butter or margarine - about 8 months;
- ice cream - maximum 3 months.
Rules for the "healthy" organization of the refrigerator
Some foods have their "predestined" place in the fridge - vegetables and fruits in boxes, eggs in plastic or cardboard formwork, drinks and sauces on drawers mounted in the door, etc. But most of them can be placed on the shelves inside it at will. Experts argue that it is good to place healthy, low-calorie foods on top shelves, so that they are directly in your field of vision when you open the refrigerator door.
This way, you will consume them more often and you will be more inspired to use them in the preparations you cook for your family to enjoy healthy and nutritious food. Crush the less healthy and caloric preparations behind them or on the shelves below. If you do not see them immediately as you open the refrigerator door, you will not be tempted to eat them so often.
How do you organize your refrigerator and what are your secrets about storing food in it? Tell us your tips and secrets in the comment section below!
Tags Healthy eating