The Billings ovulation method is a natural method of tracking and interpreting the signs of female fertility for contraceptive purposes or for getting a pregnancy. This method is based on monitoring changes in the cervical mucus at different stages of the menstrual cycle.
What is the Billings ovulation method?
The method is a 100% natural means of controlling women's fertility and does not require temperature measurement, medications or other instruments. It is based on careful observation of the cervical mucus on the outside of the genital organs. The mucus, produced by the cervix, is felt by women on the vulva, at any time of day.
For conception, the cervix must produce adequate amounts of mucus so that the sperm can play its role and reach the egg to fertilize it. However, there are situations (menopause, contraceptive pills use) in which the amount of secreted mucus differs and is smaller (dry vagina). In this case you face infertility, even if ovulation exists - it is called the basic infertile sequence.
What characteristics does cervical mucus have in a menstrual cycle?
The cervical mucus undergoes several changes during a menstrual cycle depending on the color, texture, density, consistency or volume as follows:
- a few days after menstruation, the secretion is almost non-existent (dry vagina); they are called dry days;
- On fertile days and on the day of maximum fertility, the mucus becomes more and more abundant and dense (during this period you can feel a slight discomfort in the vaginal area, and the mucus can be noticed on the toilet paper or slip - these are considered wet days;
- after the day of maximum ovulation - the mucus becomes viscous, cloudy, sticky and dense - returning to dry days.
Depending on these characteristics, which can be observed with the naked eye, the specialists claim that you can control the periods when having sex for contraceptive or conception purposes.
Tracking the characteristics of the fertile period helps you to know that you must take protective measures (hormonal, barrier etc.) on wet days and that then it is the best time for conception (sexual contact is recommended during the fertile period once at 1- 2 days).
How reliable is the method?
Experts say that if applied correctly, the Billings ovulation method has a high success rate. Because the cervical mucus can also be modified for reasons other than those specific to a menstrual cycle, doctors recommend monitoring its features in several consecutive menstrual cycles.
Also in order to increase the accuracy of the method the doctors argue that it is best to combine this method with other means of identifying the fertile period (fertility kit, basal temperature, etc.). With the correct identification of the periods of the menstrual cycle you can take the correct measures of prevention or, on the contrary, of obtaining the pregnancy.
What are the benefits of the Billings method?
There are several advantages to this method:
- it is cheap and easy to learn and apply;
- does not involve medicines and other instruments;
- does not depend on the regularity of menstrual cycles;
- carefully monitors the changes in the reproductive system and thus helps in the rapid detection of local conditions;
- improves communication and strengthens the couple's relationship;
There are also some disadvantages of the method related to the need for additional contraception or abstinence measures in certain periods.
Tags Contraception Concept Kit ovulation prediction